Suing or claiming against Insurance Broker
Insurance brokers are a niche businesses operating in the market place. Individuals and businesses alike often turn to them for bespoke insurance products. They act as a third party intermediary between you the customer and the insurance company underwriting the policy.
They also play active roles in claims management and notification to the underwriting insurer.
The role of the insurance broker is to listen to the needs of their clients and to seek out and obtain insurance cover which is adequate for the needs of the clients. The process will normally undertake many enquires across a range of insurance products provided by different insurers, to find the most comprehensive policy from a cost perspective and what the insurance product actually covers.
The insurance broker will normally assist to find insurance to cover the following areas:
- Car insurance — private or business
- Employers liability
- Public liability
- Professional indemnity
- Travel insurance
- Before the event products such as legal cover
Insurance brokers are generally independent businesses which have no ties to specific insurers unless they specify that they do. Problems can and have arose when the insurer either recommends or mis – sells an insurance product because of an incentive offered by the underwriting insurer.
Typically if an insurance broker has let you down, they may have done one or more of the following:
- Provided inadequate insurance cover
- Not insuring all risks which you specified
- Not providing a policy which fits your needs
- Providing a restrictive insurance product which could bring adverse risk
- Not following your instructions causing financial loss
- Failing to purchase the insurance product
- Failure to report a risk to the insurance company
- Failure to re-new the policy upon instruction to do so
- Negligence claim handling resulting in losses or damage to reputation
We must be clear that we are not able to assist you if the service which you have been provided is simply poor unless you have suffered a financial loss. If this is the case you may be able to submit a formal complaint, please refer to our ‘Negligence or just a complaint‘ page for further information.
We can advise you if you have suffered a financial loss as a result of a wrongdoing by an insurance broker.